Backyard Update - Aug 2021
Although our summer was very hot and wet, we were able to progress in the backyard. Here are a few things that were accomplished:
- You may not have noticed but there were railroad ties that separated the parking lot from the backfield. This step-up acted as a blocker to the rainwater flow. The railroad ties have been removed and the ground graded. The water in the parking lot should now drain to the open field.
- The old chain-link fence that weathered several floods was replaced with a new black vinyl chained link fence - it looks so pretty.
- A huge thank you goes to Bear Branch Trail Association for installing the culverts on the greenbelt behind our school. The culverts should whisk water off of our property and parking lot now and take it to Ben’s Branch waterway, and then out to Lake Houston, and then to the Gulf of Mexico! The Trails Association has hired an engineer to help up design a new channel and replacement bridge along this path which will increase the channel cross-section to 400 feet to allow for better runoff. This will have a very significant effect on floodwater levels on the Pines school campus. We are also thankful to the Harris County Flood Control District and the City of Houston who have been working to improve the flow capacity of the Kingwood Diversion Ditch by removal of sediment.
- The wetlands area (the far left corner section of the backyard) that we closed last year has gotten a makeover. The children were very excited to be able to explore this area again.
- With the new flow controls in place, we are ready to move forward with replacing and moving the back fence. The new fence will be rebuilt using the actual line of our property gaining the playground several feet in the back. You will see some temporary orange barrier netting encompassing the perimeter as the workers demolish and replace the entire backyard fence. This could take a few weeks to complete.
Click the button to make a one-time investment with a credit card
or Click HERE for a check or reoccurring contribution
These are a few aspirational drawings for what we hope to accomplish in the backyard:
"My kids love Pines, the quality of teachers, the setting and the environment is what we were looking for."
We love our school! My two children are so happy here!
My son is excelling in so many ways!
The teachers are the best. They truly care for each student.
Copyright 2021 – Pines Montessori School All Right Reserved